The Freee Art Collective (Dave Beech, Andy Hewitt and Melanie Jordan) use protest, language and text within the public sphere, and are interested in the politicization and critical interrogation of art through the possibilities of the public space. They aim to question the role of art in today’s society and the art market itself. Using the language of Marxism, Art & Language, the anti-art and anti-aesthetic of Dadaism, and the writings of Adorno and Habermas they attempt to activate the public through the use of the public sphere and of public art. They aim to practice what they call a counter-hegemonic art to reinvigorate the idea of Art as negative, absent and lacking. Freee use both the public arena and gallery space in attempt to bring the two closer together, turning the gallery into a public space. Using language in a questioning, non-art, and the philistine manner of historical Conceptual Art, they wish to give a voice to the truth and in doing so take sides rather than, in the contemporary art world use of words in an ironic or non-committal way. The artists have previously worked together on several critical public art projects for exhibitions such as Gavin Wade’s ‘Strategic Question: What are Aesthetics?’, Venice Biennale, 2005; B+B’s ‘Real Estate’, ICA, London, 2005; IPS, Birmingham, 2007; and Nought to Sixty, ICA, 2008.
- RT @DingyButt: Fancy a sneaky peek inside our #Gateshead10x10 booklet for adults?! Inside there are 10 activities created by Gateshead arti… 2 hours ago
- @DingyButt current project supporting and working with Gateshead residents, local artists and Gateshead Community o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- RT @DingyButt: Our first #meetthemaker feature is live on our Facebook – every Monday we are introducing the Gateshead artists we are worki… 4 weeks ago
- RT @lr_crystallised: This is a fucking thread. 1/21 Over the past 2 weeks, it's been "suggested" to me, by folx in & outside of Tyneside C… 1 month ago
- RT @DingyButt: Delighted to launch our project 10×10 Creative Gateshead; we are busily creating 2 creative booklets to support the well-bei… 1 month ago
May 2009 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31