Socialism would never have entered the world if its proponents had sought only to excite the enthusiasm of the working classes for a better order of things. What made for the power and authority of the movement was that Marx understood how to interest the workers in a social order which would both benefit them and appear to them as just. It is exactly the same with art. At no point in time, no matter how utopian, will anyone win the masses over to a higher art; they can be won over only to one nearer to them. And the difficulty consists precisely in finding a form for art such that, with the best conscience in the world, one could hold that it is a higher art. This will never happen with most of what is propagated by the avant-garde of the bourgeoisie.
- So who should we be voting for in the @nationaltrust vote to keep the so called “anti-woke” six out? 23 hours ago
- @LeafyDragon_FPL So shouldn’t the gif say this is Newcastle and Gateshead? 1 month ago
- @LeafyDragon_FPL Most of those images are Gateshead. 1 month ago
- RT @StudioImagoTW: Exhibition opportunity @ The Bank Gallery, North Shields happyplanetstudio.co.uk/time-on-my-han… @EastStreetArts @arts_NT @NTCouncilTeam… 5 months ago
- RT @DingyButt: Still a few places left on the free online bookmaking workshop with Gateshead artist Pui Lee. Friday 16 April, 11.30-1pm. Ma… 6 months ago
May 2009 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31